A Delicate Desert Flower

A Delicate Desert Flower

Friday, November 5, 2010

It's been a long week.

The accreditation committee was here for four days. We did not get an answer at the end of the week as to whether or not we will get accredited. They told us that we won't know until January. That's a long time to wait. Until then, I am going to forget about it. My department did get a commendation from them, though :)

I swear I am getting crazier with every passing day. I actually let the music teacher talk me into doing the talent show with her and a couple of other teachers. I put my hair into ponytails, and thought that they were quite big enough. My friend from secondary school didn't think so. She teased them out until it looked like I had a grand chandelier of hair. The look was completed with gold and turquoise eye shadow, orange lipstick, leggings, and a huge t-shirt. We were truly channelling the 80s. And it was SCARY! The song we sang was actually about the accreditation committee sung to the tune to "I Will Survive". LOL The students got such a kick out of seeing us sing! And the staff liked it so much that they requested we do it for the ENTIRE staff AND the accreditation committee at the debriefing meeting! HA! It was hysterical, and a ton of fun. I would never have done it years ago. I was too worried about what other people thought. I find that the more time goes by the less I give a damn what anyone thinks.

Is it November already? Really? I have been told that I am adjusting very well. Most people are actually rather surprised when I tell them that this is my first time overseas. Several have said they thought I must have been doing this for years. In a way, I am flattered. On the other hand, well, I don't know what to think. Some days I don't think I am doing so well. Some days are better than others. Some are downright excruciating and all I want to do is hide in my covers away from everything foreign and forget the desert outside my window. Forget all of the crappy Emirati women who actually cross to the other side of the walkway in the mall to avoid walking to close to the infidels. Yes, there aren't many of them, but there are some that are that ignorant. School and government bureaucracy drive me nuts on a daily basis. But whatever. I roll with it. That's all you can do. Roll with it.

I am going to Singapore next week for Eid. So looking forward to the Eid break! We could use the time off after this whole accreditation process. I am excited to actually start travelling. But in all honesty, there is so much to do here, too! I want to go on desert safari, go up to the top to the Burj Khalifa, snorkel in Oman, and head out to a couple of the souks. My list of things to do, places to see, and stuff to try out gets longer and longer! Yipe!

I am also trying to understand the tax situation at home. From what I read, I couldn't come home for more than thirty days each year. However, another teacher says we just can't be home for more than thirty days at a time or else we'll be considered residents. I will have to make sure, because it will make the difference between my coming home for two weeks at summer and two weeks at Christmas or for an entire month at summer and two weeks at Christmas. And next year, I AM coming home for Christmas. I am going to book my tickets in the summer so I can make sure I can go home. But for now, I am planning on Singapore next week and Sri Lanka in December.

Miss you. Lots.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if your doing incredibly well. Ignorant people exist everywhere. Bureaucrats will be bureaucrats everywhere you go. You are an amazing person! Have fun and learn as much as you can. You be who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time and gobble up every experience that comes your way.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Feedback is always appreciated and I thank you. Derogatory, inflammatory, or just plain nasty comments will be deleted.