A Delicate Desert Flower

A Delicate Desert Flower

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Let me tell you about Waxy's...

Waxy's is an Irish pub in Oud Metha which is a neighborhood in Dubai. It's dark, with lots of loud Irish rock, drunken Irish and British people, and eighties music. Upstairs on Friday night, they serve a brunch of English breakfast. Well, after waiting outside our building in the sand for twenty minutes, our taxi showed up. It got us there just in time to get our brunch tickets at 6pm. Yes, I know. Brunch is typically earlier in the day. Not here. It's a "eat a whole lot and then drink your weight in beer" kind of affair. 85 dirhams gets you five drink tickets and the brunch buffet. We got there a little late, so we had to get all of our drinks at once. We drank about five drinks in a little over an hour (apparently we're drinkers with a teaching problem ;) and headed downstairs. The place was packed, and most of them were completed sotted. It was HILARIOUS. The Irish and British get more friendly the more they drink. They're easy to smile, and free with their alcohol. I have never had drinks bought for me by hot Irish guys, and I think I like it ;) The music got louder as the night went on. The entire place sang "Greased Lightning" at the top of their lungs. People got falling down drunk, knocked over tables, got thrown out, got let back in, and got even more drunk. We had a blast. I danced with a very nice British guy, who kept smiling at me and kissing my hand. I danced with him for almost two hours and had a very good time. At one point, he stepped into the light and I got a good look at his face. This prompted me to ask how old he was. He was 22! LOL!!! Yep, and the guy that my friend was dancing with was his uncle! HA! We both agreed that we're going to that special place in a handbasket, and I'm probably driving that handbasket. It was so much fun though! I hadn't gone out to get smashed, I just kind of...did. LMAO!!!

I will probably stay in next weekend. Money is getting tight because we haven't gotten paid yet. We get paid monthly, and we're due for our first paycheck on the 28th. I will be so happy to get some money in my UAE account. So I can get some furniture, some appliances...and go out to Waxy's again! Woohoo!

1 comment:

Feel free to comment. Feedback is always appreciated and I thank you. Derogatory, inflammatory, or just plain nasty comments will be deleted.