A Delicate Desert Flower

A Delicate Desert Flower

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Falling from Summer

As a teacher, we look forward to summers like children look forward to Christmas. We go and go and go at full steam ahead for 180 days so we can have those summer months off. Still, who are we kidding? We end up doing school work, planning, and making stuff for class anyway. But in between those times, I try to spend as much time goofing off as possible!

I have to say that the summers I have spent home in the last couple of years have been some of the best in my life. I so enjoy the time I spend at home with family and friends. This summer was fantastic. I didn't have much planned, except to enjoy people's company and attend a long anticipated friends' wedding. The bachelorette was a hoot and a holler. I need my own Russian masseuse. He had such nice hands... And then came the wedding day. I've never been so happy to be drafted to hold someone's train. My face hurt, I was smiling so big. We toasted, got toasted, and were quite merry. Soooo happy for them, really. It's about time. I also got to go tubing, made dinner for friends, and went to a local carnival.

I was quite happy that I got to spend so much time with my little brother. He had joined me in Scotland, and now when I dream of travelling he's usually with me. We got to prowl around a bit, go hiking with some friends, and generally shoot the @%$#. Saw a movie, got ice cream, went out to lunch, whatever we had time for. Twas awesome.

Admittedly, I am happy doing just about anything as long as my friends and family are there. That's what I really look forward to in the summer. Sure, travelling is life altering and full of positive and tasty experiences. But on the inside I've got this little clock ticking down the days until I see the people I love. While I was home this summer, in addition to registering for an absentee ballot I made the decision and bought my tickets home for Christmas. Some people I work with say "Aw, it's not worth it to go home for such a short time" but I heartily disagree. I spent a holiday away from home, and though it was interesting and fun it can't replace the familiarity and comfort of home at Christmas. I want to be home, on the couch with Mom and my siblings watching the Grinch and eating goodies while the nieces take the living room apart and pound up and down the kitchen like little chaos fairies.

And now I'm back where I was last year this time. I have a decision to make. Everyone was asking me all throughout summer and as soon as I got back my coworkers were asking as well. What am I going to do at the end of this school year??

Question of the year, that is. I'll get back to you on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Feedback is always appreciated and I thank you. Derogatory, inflammatory, or just plain nasty comments will be deleted.